American Frames, Newcomb-Macklin Company, Founded 1871

 

Many talented artisans’ hands shine on the beauty of the frames of the prolific Newcomb- Macklin company, originally from Evanston Illinois, which opened its doors in 1871, founded by S.H. McElswain. In 1883 McElwain’s bookkeepers Charles Macklin and John Newcomb became partners and took over the company.

They were very prolific in the east coast and were the frame-makers of painters such as Maxfield Parrish, George Bellows, John Singer Sargent, as well as many artists in the Taos community of New Mexico where they incorporated Native American motifs. They were mostly active in the 20th century with showrooms in Chicago and New York and even had a crew traveling salesman.

SimpleViewer requires JavaScript and the Flash Player. Get Flash